Welcome to week 13 of The Winter Project!
(What is The Winter Project?)
Winter play: Soak up some sunshine!
In this final week of The Winter Project, I encourage you to soak up some sunshine! In addition to squashing the winter blues, sunlight aids in our skin's production of vitamin D. Vitamin D greatly increases your absorption of calcium for strong bones, boosts the immune system, and reduces your risk of serious illnesses such as cancer, diabetes, and heart disease.
Challenge for week 13: Whether you can spend time outside or you must settle for an indoor spot near a sunlit window, try to get some sunlight each day this week. Just 10-20 minutes a day in the sun is enough. Keep in mind that sunscreen blocks ultraviolet light which is the key requirement for your skin to produce vitamin D. So apply your sunscreen after the first 10-20 minutes if you plan to stay out longer.
Ideas for catching rays (dependent upon your local weather, of course):
- Winter sports like skiing, snowboarding, and snowshoeing are a great way to get out in the sunshine and stay warm. I love springtime skiing in a t-shirt!
- Are you planning a garden for the spring? Spend some time outside preparing your garden area for planting. Not sure when it is time to plant? Check out this website for planting dates for a variety of crops.
- Pack a hot lunch and have a picnic or enjoy a meal hot from a Thermos after a day of playing in the snow.
- Visit your local farmers’ market on a sunny day. Consider bringing your favorite hot drink to enjoy while you browse.
- Sit outside or go for a walk, run, hike, or bike ride. If it is cold but not freezing, consider leaving your arms bare but wearing a vest for extra warmth.
- Go on a photo safari outside. You don't need a fancy camera- just a sunny day and a few minutes to observe things around you before taking a few shots.
As we move through this project, I would love to hear about your survival skills, struggles, and success in the comments or by email (you can reach me at email@example.com)!
Don’t miss out! Subscribe to receive free Get Natured updates so you can be included in The Winter Project. The weather outside doesn’t have to be frightful! xoxo
Other ways to follow along:
*Important note: I am not a licensed mental health professional. This advice is not intended to take the place of therapy or medications. Please seek professional care if you are suffering from depression or anxiety symptoms.