At times like this I start to get a little antsy in the back of my mind. I start making lists titled "Back on Track" and "Goals for Next Week" just to gain some semblance of control and to steer us back to our healthy routine. The lists themselves get me nowhere, really, but the brainstorming process of this does bring focus to what I need to do to get it together.
Back on Track List
To me, living a healthy and balanced life is rooted in being well fed. By fed, though, I don't just mean with food. I've broken this list down into three areas that I feel I need to focus on to get back to where I need to be: eat, move, and breathe.
|Fruits and veggies to be juiced this week.|
- Roasted delicata squash and kale salad (with Rancho Gordo beans and a grain of some kind on the side).
- Brown rice bowl with stir fried veggies and tofu (recipe coming soon- this is a great one!).
- Veggie burgers (try these) and sweet potato oven fries.
- Whole wheat spaghetti with garlic, lemon, parsley, shallots, and greens.
- Open-face veggie sandwiches (inspired by Pinterest) and Gardein "buffalo wings".
- Kale salad with apples, walnuts, and a light walnut oil dressing (recipe below).
Kale Salad with Roasted Walnut Dressing
- 1 bunch of kale (curly or lacinato), washed and chopped with large stalks removed
- 1 apple, chopped
- 1/3 cup lightly toasted walnuts, chopped (Toast them in a dry skillet over medium heat. Please watch them closely, they burn quickly!)
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 2-3 tablespoons rice or apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 tablespoons roasted walnut oil
- 2 teaspoons honey or agave nectar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine vinegar, walnut oil, honey (or agave), and salt and pepper in a small bowl and mix well.
- Combine kale, apples, walnuts, and raisins in a bowl. Pour dressing over the top, mix well, and serve.