Here is my basic pancake recipe plus a few ideas for upping the nutritional value.
Basic Pancake Recipe:
1 1/4 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
2 tbsp oil (your choice, try: canola, olive, coconut, melted margarine)
~1 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp real maple syrup (optional but I like to add this because my kids don't use syrup and this makes the pancakes just a bit sweeter)
1. Combine all of the dry ingredients in a medium bowl (sift them if you wish).
2. Whisk together the wet ingredients then gently stir them into the dry. Don't over-mix or your pancakes will be like rubber!
My kids don't like pancakes with "chunks" of any kind (even fruit). So, instead of whisking the wet ingredients together, I put them in the blender. That way I can add things to the batter without adding any lumps or bumps.
For protein and iron:
- Add nut butter (e.g. peanut or almond butter), sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, and/or hemp seeds to the wet ingredients and blend well.
- Substitute soy flour for up to 1/3 cup flour.
- Substitute a serving of protein powder for an equal amount of the flour.
- Substitute ground flaxseeds (flax meal) and/or wheat germ for up to 1/3 cup flour.
- Add blackstrap molasses for iron.
Adding fruits and veggies:
- Add carrots, apples, bananas, berries, squash, applesauce, sweet potatoes, or other fruits and/or veggies to the wet ingredients and blend well. Bananas (especially really ripe bananas) work really well for this!
Anybody have any other sneaky pancake tricks?