Whether you like the texture of rolled (old fashioned) oats or steel cut, the nutritional value is about the same (more info on that here). I have been using oat groats (aka whole oats) because I really like their hearty texture but any kind of oats (except for instant) will work well in this recipe.
Makes about 4 servings
- 1 cup oats of choice (I like oat groats)
- 3 cups of water (or recommended ratio of water +1 cup)
- Optional mix-ins: chopped apples, raisins, dried, cranberries, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, etc.
- Put oats, water, and mix-ins in crockpot and turn on low overnight*.
- To serve, I stir in 2 tablespoons of raw almond butter and top with a bit of unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
Leftovers can be refrigerated and re-heated in the microwave with a little non-dairy milk. Feel free to get creative with the optional mix-ins!