Morning is always such a busy time in our house and yours too, I imagine. While I'd love to lounge in my PJs, drinking tea and eating tofu scramble with roasted potatoes, the reality is that I don't have that kind of time!
Here are six quick breakfast ideas to help you get your day started on a healthy note!
- Smoothie: Smoothies are such an awesome vehicle for so many good things. If you haven't tried a green smoothie yet, give it a try! Here are some ideas to get you started.
- Oatmeal: To make this a faster breakfast, stick with rolled oats or try overnight oats or cook steel cut oats overnight in a crock pot.
- Waffles: Waffles are a "sometimes food", as Cookie Monster would say, but I do like them every now and then! When I have a waffle craving but no time to make my own, I use organic and light frozen waffles. Try them with fruit and nuts and drizzle with a tiny bit of real maple syrup. Yummy combos: try apples and walnuts, bananas and peanut butter, or peaches and almonds.
- Pancakes: I make a batch of my super pancakes every couple of weeks, doctored up with added protein and various other ingredients. I freeze the leftovers for quick, microwavable breakfasts later in the week. I add fruit and a bit of syrup to the batter, so I can skip the syrup when I serve these to my kids.
- Muffins: Muffins are another great vehicle for good stuff. I add nuts, seeds, and all kinds of things to mine to make them a heartier breakfast.
- Yogurt: Choose a yogurt that isn't loaded with sugar or other icky ingredients (I buy soy yogurt) and add to whole grain cereal (Kashi Go Lean has lots of protein) or top with nuts or seeds and fruit.